Sunday, March 30, 2014

"Fun Day at the Zoo" (travel story) 3/23/14


I have been to the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, and the San Diego Zoo, but never, until last Saturday, the San Francisco Zoo. Mid-day, soap bubbles from children’s toys filled the air as I waited in line to enter the Zoo. I could hear the sounds of animals, nature, and seagulls from Ocean Beach, playing over and over in my head like a song. The weather was quite chilly; and I had to leave my sweater on at all times. Next! A cashier yells, as I snapped out of my daydream and rushed to the window. I asked her I wanted to purchase a “one adult resident ticket,” and shared my address with her (so that I could get three dollar discount). After purchasing I set for my journey.
As I walked inside, on my right were giraffes; this must have been the African Region I thought, and began my quest around the zoo. All the animals seemed to be peaceful and tired. Here and there zebras, gorillas, ostriches, the sight was beautiful. I then moved on to the Primate Discovery Center, where there were chimps, monkeys, and lemurs. A specific detail I remember from the chimp’s habitat was a mother playing with her baby chimp, stroking his head while he slept on her arm, such a memorable, and adorable scene, I wanted to cry. At this time I was a bit hungry, I stopped at the Leaping Lemur CafĂ©, and ate a greasy dripping pizza with a small soda pop. I ate on the way to the cat kingdom to that I would not miss a single moment. Right in the center as you enter this kingdom is the penguins and the rhinos on the left. The air smelled of fish and salt water, as I kept walking through to the hippos, bobcats, and other cats. Then came the terrifying part, the lions and the tigers. Remembering the incident that happened on December 25, 2007, I got a little uneasy to see these cats. There have been two tiger attacks at the San Francisco Zoo, both involving a four-year-old Siberian Tiger named Tatiana. In the first incident, a zookeeper was bitten on the arm during a public feeding. The second incident two people were injured and one killed, before the tiger was fatally shot by police officers. The story goes that in 2007, Tatiana escaped from her open-air enclosure, and attacked three visitors shortly after closing time. After escaping from the tiger grotto, Tatiana killed one patron, Carlos Eduardo Sousa Jr., and injured two brothers, “Paul, and Kulbir Dhaliwal. The scene was chaotic, and 13 minutes after the initial 9-1-1 call, police officers and fire department paramedics reached Carlos Sousa’s dead body and found his throat slashed. When four officers and a zoo shooting team member reached the tiger, they found her with one of the brothers (back in enclosure). They did not shoot Tatiana immediately; just to be sure the brother would be okay. After some distraction, the tiger turned towards the officers and was shot through her forehead and was killed instantly. After shooting, Tatiana’s head, paws, and tail were removed by SF Police Department forensic investigation unit. Soon after the zoo was closed in order to make better security for the animals in case of escape again. The zoo remained closed until January 3, 2008. Sources told the SF Chronicle that pinecones and sticks that might have been thrown at Tatiana had been found; later one of the brothers admitted that the three of the men were yelling and waving at the tiger before the attack had happened. The wall the tiger jumped was 12.5 feet tall; she also could have used her claws in order to climb up the wall, sources are not sure of how the escape had happened. Knowing about this story and I just around the corner of these habitats not sure what was to come. I walked calmly around, and immediately saw electric fences and tall glass windows making it safer for them not to escape or being thrown things at. Later I enter the South America Region where I saw a huge anteater, capybaras, and the greater rhea (a type of bird). The only disappointment was that the South America Tropical Forest was closed for renovations. Going further the Bear Country Region was next, polar bears, grizzly bears, bald eagles, and sea lions. Entering the Outback Trail, there were kangaroo’s and koalas. Lastly I entered my last region on the map the exploration zone. I moved forward to the insect zoo, ewe! I felt as I walked in with giant cockroaches right in front of me, I quickly ran out and decided to move on. Then came the Native American animals together with the family farm. There were horses, goats, sheep, rams, pigs, alpacas, and wild turkeys. The goats were roaming around me leaving its droppings in site and people were able to pet them. I felt like it was time to head home. With my last two animals (meerkats and prairie dogs) I was ready to finish up. I had filled up my phone with pictures and videos of these majestic creatures. The last mental thing I noticed that throughout the park are these shh signs, telling the people to be silent when in fact the zoo was roaring with noises of kids yelling and bothering their moms for food, while I on the other hand was calm and quiet enjoying the animals.

Before I departed home I went to the souvenir shop in the main entrance. I got a small stuffed white tiger plush. After purchasing the animal I waited for the muni train to take me home. I had such an exhilarating day at the zoo, and cannot wait to come back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment