Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"30 Minutes in a Box" (elevator story) 1/22/14

          One warm Wednesday afternoon, I was on my way to K-Hall, to do an “elevator story.” I chose to take the main elevator; for thirty minutes, I went up and down observing my surroundings. At first it was very quiet, it seemed to me that not many people were using the elevator at this time. Silence enclosed on me, not even music played to pass the time, the only sound was the wind and the dinging from the buttons. Finally after a few moments of silence a boy came in with curly hair, he was very shy and quiet, I took the effort to say good afternoon, but he did not respond. As time went by a few more students and teachers rode the elevator. Some had things to say, and some were more engaged on their cell phones. The most significant detail that stuck in my mind was a teacher carrying a bicycle on the elevator and accidentally bumped into me without saying sorry as she gets off on the 3rd floor.
          Towards the end less people rode, and I was alone on the elevator more than with company. I came to the conclusion, that possibly a class was in session or more people preferred to take the stairs. I simply did not enjoy the ride; it was lonely, boring, and quiet. Based on this experience I have learned that many people are anti-social, we are more focused on what is on our phones then having a simple conversation. For instance not one conversation came along from anyone whom I said good afternoon to. Not many people cared if I was going to get off or not, they always went out first, just goes to show you how involved we are with each other that not even a simple kind act, like asking what floor, or if I was getting off was said. I recommend others to this experiment to see what you notice next time you are stuck in an elevator for 30 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment